Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Baby Bib/Apron




This isn't your typical bib. I got tired of normal bibs just not covering enough. It seemed that whenever my daughter had food all over her face she would manage to get it on her shoulders. Looking around at Babies 'R' Us I found the perfect solution. However, it was 10 bucks per bib. I thought "I can make at least four bibs for the price of that one bib." So I bought the bib and took it home to copy. Below is what I came up with. My daughter is now almost 4 years old. So this is a bib that can be worn for quite some time.
My pattern
Liner fabric: (I use flannel) cut one using the top piece.
Bib fabric: cut one of each pattern piece.
Hook and Loop or Ribbon to tie in back
Then I realized I really didn't need a full pattern. Duh! Cut one on fold. :)

To cut down on time I folded my fabric like so:
And then one more time so that I could get two liners and only cut one time.
Before sewing any pieces together I embroidered baby to be's name.
Then sandwich the pocket between the bib front and liner. You will also want to position the hook and loop tape. Sew right sides together. Be sure to leave a gap so that you are able to turn it right side out. Then I sewed around all the edges and closed up my hole. Sewing around all the edges will help it to hold its shape after washing.
Before sewing the armhole:
After sewing the armhole:
Sorry about the angle of the photo
The back view of the bib/Apron:
Front view of bib/apron:
I made a few for baby to be and plan to also tuck in some spoons and other eating accessories into the pocket. This bib is perfect when you forget to feed your sweetie before she puts on her Sunday best! Don't forget the boys also-just pick a boy fabric. I plan to make a few boy ones also for my little guy.

This pattern would also work well for a craft/paint apron for your little one.